Frequently Asked Insurance Questions

Auto Insurance

  • How much does it cost to plate a vehicle? The type of vehicle along with your safety rating will determine the cost of your plates – you can go to our website and access rates for vehicles.
  • Can I renew my plates online now? You can register your email address with us and then you will be able to do renewals by going to our website.
  • I want to find out about my car insurance. Where do I find the information? Visit our office and we can explain both the basic mandatory coverage as well as the extension auto insurance products.
  • What’s the difference between Tort and No Fault insurance? When a person is injured in an automobile accident , the type of settlement you will get is determined by whether you are in the Tort or No Fault system.  The benefits from each are very different and informational booklets are available at our office.

  • How much will it cost for a year for a package policy on my car? An average package policy will cost about $140 per year.  Costs can range anywhere from $50 for a “liability only” policy to $250 for a comprehensive policy that would include Replacement Cost insurance on a new car.
  • Do I have rental car coverage on my package policy? Does my spouse have rental car coverage on my package policy? The coverages that you have on your personal package policy will apply to a rental car anywhere in Canada and the USA.  Your policy extends to any qualified driver who operates your car with your permission.
  • Can I renew my package policy on line now? Package policies can be renewed by talking to your broker and making payment at renewal time.  Payments can be made on-line, by phone or in person.
  • What is loss of use coverage on car insurance? When your car is being repaired after an accident, your loss of use coverage will pay for a rental vehicle.
  • Do I have loss of use coverage on my package policy? Not all policies have loss of use coverage.  This is an optional coverage and you should check with your broker to see if it can be added to your policy.
  • How do I bring a vehicle in from out of province? We can sell you a “temporary insurance card” that will provide insurance for your vehicle while bringing it back to Saskatchewan.  You will also need to get a permit from the jurisdiction that you are originating from in order to make it legal to be on the road.
  • What permits do I need to bring in a car from out of province? A permit must be obtained from the Motor Vehicles Department of the jurisdiction that you are bringing the vehicle from.
  • How do I know if a vehicle I’m looking at purchasing is free from liens? SGI does not track liens on vehicles.  You will need to contact the courthouse or information services in order to find out if a vehicle has liens registered against it.

House, Condo, and Tenant Insurance

  • Do I need to have someone checking on my house while I’m away? Yes – during the heating season.
  • How often do I need to have my house checked while I’m away? Various insurers have different rules – you will need to contact your broker to see what your insurance company rules are.
  • Are my belongings in my garage covered? Yes – your personal belongings will be covered in your garage located at the same location as your home.
  • Will my new home policy cover my contents too? Yes, homeowner’s policies will cover your personal belongings as well as your dwelling building.
  • Aren’t my boat and motorcycle covered by my home insurance? No – boats an motorcycles are not automatically covered by your home insurance.
  • Why did my home insurance go up this year? The value of your home increased and the premium increased with it.
  • What are some ways I can reduce the premiums for my house insurance? You can go to a higher deductible or install a monitored alarm.
  • If I upgrade my condo with new flooring, bathroom, or kitchen improvements, are these upgrades covered by my existing condo package? Condo Unit owners packages will include a limited amount of improvements coverage.
  • What is covered in tenant insurance? Your personal belongings as well as tenant’s legal liability and personal liability.
  • What do I need to protect? Your personal belongings as well as certain types of liability.
  • Am I protected for flooding? No – flood coverage is normally not available for personal insurance.
  • Am I protected from sewer backup? Sewer back-up coverage is an option that you pay extra for – you must talk to your broker to ensure that you have this added to your policy.

Contractor and Commercial Insurance

  • I’m a contractor and I need proof of insurance. Where do I get this? We can provide you with a certificate indicating proof of insurance.
  • Where can I get a certificate of insurance? We provide certificates of insurance for our commercial clients.

Motorbikes, RVs, Boats, Etc.

  • What’s the difference between plate insurance and my package policy? Plate insurance is the basic mandatory coverage – your package policy will give you better coverages such as lower deductibles, higher liability limits, etc.
  • Where do I get information on boat license (the Federal Watercraft Operator’s Card)? This is a Federal program. The Transport Canada website is the best source of information.
  • What are the restrictions with a Learner’s Motorcycle license? No passengers, no night time riding, may not tow a vehicle or use a sidecar.
  • Do I need to insure my trailer and my boat? Or is it all covered together? Your trailer insurance will only cover your trailer – you must insure your boat separately by adding it to your home insurance policy or taking out a separate marine policy.

Miscellaneous Insurance Questions

  • Is there tax on insurance? There is a hidden premium tax included in your insurance. As of August 1, 2017, PST is now being charged on all types of insurance in Saskatchewan.